Monday, August 28, 2017

I'm more than a statistic

"Did you know… 800,000 people are widowed each year?"
I did not know this but now it is my reality so I've become very aware. 
"Did you know… 700,000 of those are women?"
Figures. 
I have yet to meet a widower. 
At any age.  

"Did you know… most widows live in poverty?" 
(Over 115 million world wide)
I did not know this. Christopher and I were prepared. His job provided security for our kids and I. We also took extra precautions and filed the proper paperwork, always prepared for the "what ifs". 
We knew it could happen. We just never thought it would.
I have plans though. Not all is lost. 
“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.” 

"Did you know… “death of a spouse” is listed as the #1 stressor on the stress index scale and is considered one of life’s most devastating events?"
Yep. 
Well aware. 
But I'm doing it. 
Diving in head first. 

"Did you know… 60% of those who lose a spouse or significant other will experience a serious illness within 12 months?"
Once I came up for air I knew my health was a priority. I dug deep and leaned into the emotions. Allowed myself to feel the pain rather escape it. 
I'm strong, stronger than I have ever been but I know not everyone is like me. This is why I can't hide behind the curtains. This is why I have to share what I have been through. I can help others like me. I can be a light, however faint, on those dark days. 
The darkness is real and terrifying.
I want to be a lighthouse. 
"Did you know… The average age of widowhood is 55, and 75 percent of women will be widowed by age 56?"
The majority I know are under 40. I have met or known 4 in just the last year who have lost their husband. 
I hurt for them. I feel their heartbreaking. And I see them smiling, thriving, clasping to anything remarkable. 
It is tragic and beautiful and pushes me to work harder and give more. Their survival to live inspires me. 

"Did you know… most widow(er)s lose 75% of their support base when their spouse dies?"
All types of circumstances occur after death. We moved across the country. We left a lot behind. Our family is used to being nomadic though. I had to rebuild a life, in a new city, but I had done that before. Just not alone. 
I haven't been alone though. I lost a lot of people on August 12th but the ones that remained and those I gained afterward are what I focus on now. The energy I put out is what I attract and I must be putting out some good vibes because I'm blessed to have so many people in my life that love me. That love us. 

"Did you know… after 3 – 4 months most of the remaining support fades for a widow(er)?"
I have realized that we are inept to deal with grief as a society. 
Life goes on and people expect you to do the same. 
The more we open ourselves up to our emotions.
The less we talk and the more we listen.
Everything can change. 
I hope to change the face of grief. 
(I have a plan for that too.)

"Did you know… scamming and manipulation are common practice toward the widowed?"
This was the most shocking! So many men reaching out to me on social media or through my personal contact information. Men I have never met. It is UNREAL and disturbing. 
They won't prey on my vulnerability. 
"Did you know… it really is possible to die of a broken heart? Widow(er)s have a 30% elevated risk of death in the first 6 months after their spouses died."
My heart broke when we landed in Colorado returning from the funeral. All the pain and loss, my chest felt like it was being twisted and pulled apart. I could feel my heart, the muscle itself, splitting in two. 
I thought I was going to die. 
I didn't. 


Source:
http://peaceloveandgrief.com/?tag=widow-statistics 

No comments:

Post a Comment